Anonymous said: im like your ptsd theory, can you go a bit more in depth??
PTSD can be the result of many traumatic events. After doing some research and seeing common traumatic events that lead to such a disorder, these often came up that are relevant to Thranduil’s life.
- Sudden death of a loved one (often violent death)
Everyone reacts to PTSD differently, but three main symptoms are:
- Re-experiencing the traumatic event
- Avoiding reminders of the trauma
- Increased anxiety and emotional arousal
Tell me that scene in DOS where the orc calls Legolas an elfling and talks about mordor is not traumatic for Thranduil, I dare you.
Look at his fucking face.
He remembers what happened. He remembers how afraid he was, how much death and carnage there was. He remembers how he could do nothing to stop the death of his father, of his people, and now his son, his only family member left is being threatened. LOOK AT HIS FACE.
Thranduil has increased anxieties which make him shut everyone out. Judging by hoiw he interacts with Legolas, my theory is that he shut out his emotions. Perhaps at one time he was very loving and fatherly towards his son, but he became cold and distant. Maybe he’s trying to save his son from the heartbreak that he felt at his own father’s death, and so he treats him like a prince instead of a son.
He’s also shutting his people away to avoid reminders of the event. The very forest they live in is a constant reminder of what happened, a constant reminder of his own failure to protect the land and people that he loves from the evil of Dol Guldur.
Other PTSD Symptoms:
- Intrusive, upsetting memories of the event
- Flashbacks (acting or feeling like the event is happening again)
- Nightmares (either of the event or of other frightening things)
- Feelings of intense distress when reminded of the trauma
- Intense physical reactions to reminders of the event (e.g. pounding heart, rapid breathing, nausea, muscle tension, sweating)
Flashbacks: This is what I think is happening in the above scene pictured, as well as the new scene from the BOTFA teaser trailer when Thranduil is walking slowly among the dead.
Feelings of intense distress could be why he drinks so much and why he shuts himself away and isolates his kingdom.
Intense physical reactions: WE ALL HAVE WITNESSED THAT MANIFESTATION OF THE SCAR.
- Avoiding activities, places, thoughts, or feelings that remind you of the trauma
- Inability to remember important aspects of the trauma
- Loss of interest in activities and life in general
- Feeling detached from others and emotionally numb
- Sense of a limited future (you don’t expect to live a normal life span, get married, have a career)
These fucking speak for themselves. Ugh. Feeling detached from his own son, from his people, from the dwarves, everyone. He is numb and that is the saddest thing ever to me. Sensing a limited future- he doesnt see the darkness going away. He sees this never ending evil that is going to overcome them all.
i could write a book about this i swear.
no one is more tired of white people than steve harvey on family fued